This side is suggested with the pork dumplings, but it could go with any number of main dishes or even be a light dinner by itself.
Broccoli and Cashew Stir-Fry
adapted from Family Fun magazine, February 2010
4 tsp vegetable oil
3 scallions: whites minced, greens sliced on the bias
2 tsp minced fresh ginger
5 cups broccoli florets (or however much your family will eat)
2 cloves minced garlic
¼ tsp crushed red pepper
¼ cup water
2/3 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
1/3 cup roasted, unsalted cashews (raw will work also, but unsalted is key)
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the scallion whites and ginger. Stir fry until just fragrant; about 30 seconds.
- Add the broccoli. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and crushed red pepper. Toss to mix.
- Pour in the water and cover.
- Reduce heat to medium and steam until the broccoli is just crisp-tender, about 3 minutes.
- Uncover the skillet and raise the heat back to medium-high.
- Add the bell pepper and toss to combine. Stir fry briefly to soften the bell pepper.
- Stir in the cashews and scallion greens.