This recipe is a variation of Alton Brown’s Cauliflower Say Cheese recipe. The flavors are the same, but the cooking times and general process are rather different. Note this can be adjusted to fit your needs/taste, from the amount of cauliflower or sauce to the level of heat.
1 head of cauliflower
4½ ounces grated Cheddar cheese
½ cup Panko bread crumbs
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp dry mustard
½ tsp smoked paprika
¼ tsp black pepper
¼ tsp cayenne pepper (personally I don’t prefer heat so I go a little light here)
½ cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Trim the curds from the cauliflower, leaving them in 1 or 2 bite sized pieces. Place in a glass bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and microwave on high until it is just starting to soften (4-10 minutes depending on your microwave). Rest, still covered in plastic, for another 4-10 minutes. At this point you should be happy with the consistency as it will barely soften any further.
- Combine all the other ingredients except the cream.
- When one minute remains on the cauliflower rest period, microwave the cream on high for 30 sec – 1 minute (Again, it depends on your microwave. You want it just hot enough to melt the cheese.)
- Add the cream to the cheese mixture and stir to combine.
- Carefully remove the plastic from the cauliflower. Spread the cauliflower in a shallow glass baking dish.
- Spread the cheese mixture over the cauliflower. This can be tricky, but try not to leave giant chunks of cheese mix. You can also leave some cauliflower plain if some members of your family would prefer.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- If desired, sprinkle some extra cheese over the top and broil for an additional 6-8 minutes.
- Rest 10 minutes before serving.
We quite like this with ham, raisin sauce, and egg bread.
You must be logged in to post a comment.