We have a nice large pantry in this house, and while it looks very full most items are constantly getting used and replaced.
But, it needed a cleanup and a bit of reorganization. First, the granola bars and fruit cups were constantly falling over with the wire shelves. So, I purchased one strip of foam shelf liner and moved all likely-to-fall items to that shelf.
I then put away all the multipacks I hadn’t even opened because I was waiting to reorganize the shelf. Unfortunately they had mostly been building up on the floor. I’d love to have reorganized the baking side, but I just didn’t see how to fit what we have in less space. I think it will be an issue of eating through things (which is not a problem).
Finally, I went through and identified any items that won’t just get used up through everyday life. Grouped by rough categories of planned use:
- 1 jar of pesto, 1 package of sea salt, 1 package of sugar in the raw – These came in gift boxes. We can use all of them, it just needs to be conscious planning.
- 1 jar of clam juice – This was extra left over from the first time I tried a recipe. This recipe has been requested again so I should make it and finish this off. It would use up one of the boxes of puff pastry in the freezer (coming on that list) also.
- 1 bag of marshmallows, 2.5 bags of graham crackers – Leftovers from summer s’mores. Its going to be cold this weekend, but ideally we’ll make s’mores one more time. That would use up the marshmallows and some of the graham crackers. I need some of the graham crackers for a key lime pie at Thanksgiving. After that we’ll have to see. Neither will keep well until next summer.
- 4 pecan pumpkin quick bread mixes – We like this. I just need to remember to make them.
- 1 bag of Cape Cod potato chips – I found these on sale at Target over the summer so they should be eaten soon. I’ve been thinking of meatball subs to use up the provolone in the fridge and I think these would go nicely.
- 2 single serve cups of pineapple tid-bits – I purchased a box of fruit cups that were half pineapple/half tropical fruit. Tropical fruit flies, but nobody wants to eat pineapple unless I put it in pineapple upside down cake. That will probably have to wait until after the holidays as there are so many fun holiday desserts to make.
I’ll eat them eventually:
- 10 single serve packages of plain oatmeal – These are leftover from when I needed pregnancy snacks. I need to finish them off, maybe some light lunches.
- Dates, whole & chopped – I just need to remember they’re there.
- 3 single serve brownie mixes – These came from a Friday Freebie coupon. There were four in the box and I had one. It was ok. I will eventually eat the rest, but they’re not tasty enough to actually spend money on.
- Ritz crackers, veggie straws, Ruffles potato chips – These are leftover summer pool snacks. These are all open and therefore need to be eaten soon. I will probably just send them to school as part of lunch/snack.
- 6 pk chicken ramen – I bought these as snacks for the oldest. I need to introduce them to him, but he hasn’t been snacking as much as one might think for his size/age.
- Whole almonds, whole cashews – The boys used to snack on these, but they haven’t recently. I cook with cashews occasionally so I’ll just need to plan to use these up. Not sure yet what to do with the almonds.
- Coconut oil, dried apple rings – I had planned to make granola with these, but haven’t. Maybe I will actually get around to that.
- 2 packages of plain, microwave popcorn – Sounds like a snack for the kids, maybe with a movie on a cold winter day (like the holiday tomorrow which is supposed to be awfully cold relative to recent weather).
Pingback: Last Week’s Accomplishments – Soccer is Done! | Busy in the Burbs