So last year I did both freezer and pantry challenges and updated you throughout the year on how both were going. Thankfully, I have many fewer items this year that need using up (although some readers will notice a few things on the list again) so I’m putting the lists together. Also, since I have next to no proteins on the list, I’m hoping/planning to move through these things faster.
Most everything this year is in the freezer so the pantry list is really short:
- Coconut oil: I bought this originally to make granola which I haven’t made in the last year so we’ll see where this goes.
- Veggie straws: I have one bag left over from summer when we take these to the pool. I opened it today to send some into school for snacks. Only two kids eat them. Sticking to Thursdays (which are they best day to send these as snacks so they don’t get crushed), it will take me a few weeks to finish off the bag.
- Bag of mixed nuts: I think I’m just going to have to open this and break out the nutcrackers come holiday season. They have not expired.
That’s it there!
The freezer list is a little longer, though not nearly as bad as last year. Clearly not everything in the above pictures is on the list (see my free pint of ice cream in there). These two freezer compartments are the most loaded with listed items though. The other two are rather neat. So, here’s what we have:
- Beef bones: for stock
- Hamburger and hot dog buns – one package each: Probably going to thaw these and use them for sandwiches as BBQ season is largely over.
- Pre-made hamburgers: We weren’t fans of these and we have about 10 lbs left from what we purchased for our big summer BBQ. I’m going to try cooking them up and draining them (80% vs our usual 90%) to use as regular ground beef.
- Twelve (8 + 4) egg whites: There are a couple of options here, add-ins for sous vide eggs or macaroons being the most likely.
- Nine cubes of cilantro in chicken broth: This goes with a specific recipe which obviously I haven’t made enough of recently.
- Eleven servings of butternut squash ravioli: Clearly I could eat these faster, but they feel more right in the fall than the summer. I will get to them all eventually.
- One serving of mushroom ravioli: I need to sell this to someone as its not my thing.
- One gingerbread loaf: Clearly I need to thaw this when we have a shortage of desert options.
- Four bagels: We’re working through these. They’re all sliced for easy toasting.
- Three blocks of cream cheese: I can’t think of anything to do with these besides cream cheese frosting, ie carrot cake. My kids aren’t super interested in this though so I have to time it right.
- Chopped walnuts, slivered almonds, and chopped pecans: These are odds and ends that could be used up. The walnuts and pecans I do use from time to time. The almonds are left over from granola making so either I’m back to that or I need to come up with some baked goods to use them up.
- Some frozen celery sticks: These should go with the beef bones, and other things, for stock. I just need to remember that!